Dr. Wayel H. Abdulahad
member of WP2 and WP5
Dept. of Rheumatology & Clinical Immunology / Dept. of Pathology and Medical Biology, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
The principle objective of my research is to investigate the phenotype and function of pathogenic B-cells and T-cells in patients with autoimmune diseases, in particular ANCA-associated vasculitides, Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, Sjögren’s syndrome, Ankylosing spondylitis, and Giant Cell Arteritis. My research is aimed at gaining a better understanding of the disease mechanisms in order to identify disease-specific biomarkers and targets for therapeutic intervention.
Full publication list: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=Abdulahad+W
- Henning S, Lambers WM, Doornbos-van der Meer B, Abdulahad WH, Kroese FGM, Bootsma H, Westra J, de Leeuw K. Proportions of B-cell subsets are altered in incomplete systemic lupus erythematosus and correlate with interferon score and IgG levels. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2020 Apr 7
- von Borstel A, Abdulahad WH, Sanders JS, Rip J, Neys SFH, Hendriks RW, Stegeman CA, Heeringa P, Rutgers A, Corneth OBJ. Evidence for enhanced Bruton’s tyrosine kinase activity in transitional and naïve B cells of patients with granulomatosis with polyangiitis. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2019 Dec 1;58(12):2230-2239.
- von Borstel A, Lintermans LL, Heeringa P, Rutgers A, Stegeman CA, Sanders JS, AbdulahadWH. Circulating CD24hiCD38hi regulatory B cells correlate inversely with the ThEM17 cell frequency in granulomatosis with polyangiitis patients. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2019 Jan 10.
- Land J, Lintermans LL, Stegeman CA, Muñoz-Elías EJ, Tarcha EJ, Iadonato SP, Heeringa P, Rutgers A, AbdulahadWH. 3 Channel Blockade Modulates the Effector Function of B Cells in Granulomatosis with Polyangiitis. Front Immunol. 2017 Sep 26;8:1205.
- Verstappen GM, Kroese FG, Meiners PM, Corneth OB, Huitema MG, Haacke EA, van der Vegt B, Arends S, Vissink A, Bootsma H, AbdulahadWH. B Cell Depletion Therapy Normalizes Circulating Follicular Th Cells in Primary Sjögren Syndrome. J Rheumatol. 2017 Jan;44(1):49-58
Supervision of PhD awarded candidates (research related to B-Cells and antibodies)
- Lepse: The regulatory and effector functions of B cells in ANCA-associated vasculitis. Awarded: 2014
- Land: B cell phenotype and function in granulomatosis with polyangiitis: Towards prediction of relapse. Awarded: 2016
- von Borstel: B cells in small vessel vasculitis: towards balance between regulators and effectors. Awarded: 2019
- Rebeca Hid Cadena: Immune checkpoint pathways in the ageing immune system and their relation to vasculitides. Awarded: 2020
Currently supervising PhD research of
- Rosanne Reitsema: Failure of immune regulation in Giant Cell Arteritis
- Carlo Bonasia: Characterization of autoantigen-specific circulating B-cells in different B-cell-mediated diseases